BRIEF ON SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES:
Establishment of the Postgraduate School
The Postgraduate work started at Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi in 1990/91 Session when the University senate empowered the Postgraduate Committee to enforce minimum requirements and to maintain standard of Postgraduate studies in the University. The National University Commission approved the establishment of the Postgraduate school in 1996. The Postgraduate school prepared the Regulations governing higher Degrees and Postgraduate Diplomas in the University and it was considered and approved by the senate at its 57th regular meeting held on 26th June, 1997.
All Postgraduate matters from the various Schools are channelled through the Postgraduate School Board which makes appropriate recommendations to Senate
Structure of the Board of Postgraduate School
There shall be a Board of Postgraduate School, which shall consist of the following:
Dean of Postgraduate School Chairman
Deputy Dean of Postgraduate School Member
Deans of each School Members
University Librarian Member
Director, Academic Planning Member
General Manager, ATBU Trust and Investment Limited Member
Secretary, Postgraduate School Secretary
Structure of the School’s Postgraduate Committee
There shall be in each School, a School’s Postgraduate Committee which shall be chaired by the Dean and which shall consist of all Programme Coordinators.
Structure of the Programme Postgraduate Committee
The Programme Postgraduate Committee, to be headed by the Programme Coordinator, shall consist of all those lecturers who are qualified to participate in postgraduate teaching.
Functions of the School of Postgraduate Studies
The functions of the Postgraduate School include:
- Coordinating all the postgraduate programme of studies in the University, such as postgraduate planning, admission, registration and examination.
- Maintenance of postgraduate academic standards, and
- Monitoring and evaluating the progress of postgraduate studies in the University and submission of an annual report to Senate.
Functions of the School’s Postgraduate Committee
The School’s Postgraduate Committee shall:
- Consider recommendations from the Programme Postgraduate Committee and make recommendations to the Board of Postgraduate School. The Dean of School shall then report to the School’s Board of Studies, and
- Regulate postgraduate studies in the Schools in accordance with general guidelines approved by the Board of Postgraduate School
Functions of the Programme Postgraduate Committee
The Programme Postgraduate Committee shall:
Make recommendations to the Senate through School’s Postgraduate Committee and the Board of Postgraduate School on the following:
- Postgraduate curricula,
- Postgraduate admissions of suitable candidates,
- Degree in view and field of study,
- Appointment of supervisors, registration of research titles, and extension or cancellation of registration of postgraduate students.
- Appointment of examiners,
- Postgraduate examination, consideration of results and award of higher degrees, and Initiate action on any postgraduate matter referred to it by the School’s Postgraduate Committee or the Board of the Postgraduate School.
Functions of the Board Of Postgraduate School
The functions of the Board of Postgraduate School shall be:
- To regulate the conduct of postgraduate teaching and research
- To regulate the conduct of postgraduate examination and to receive from Schools, postgraduate examination results for onward transmission to Senate.
- To receive other recommendations from Schools on matters like postgraduate curricula, admission, registration, extensions, supervision, examination and award of degrees, and make appropriate recommendations to Senate.
- To regulate academic priorities and coordinate postgraduate work of the University.
- To recommend postgraduate programmes, fields and subjects of study through the Academic Planning Committee to the Senate and to foster the development of multi-disciplinary postgraduate work.
- To establish criteria for postgraduate supervision in the University.
- To prepare and submit budget estimates for postgraduate studies on an annual basis as well as on a long-term basis.
- To prepare annual reports for submission to the Senate.
- To prepare advertisement of all approved postgraduate programmes of the University.
- To establish Committees of the Board and elect their members
- To make rules and regulations for the effective day-to-day running of the Postgraduate School subject to approval of the Senate.
- To recommend periodically to Senate, a comprehensive review of the general regulations, progress and development of postgraduate studies of the University, and
- To deal with any other matter referred to it by Senate or the Vice-Chancellor.